Hiroshi Komiyama (Japan)
Chairman of the Institute - Mitsubishi Research Institute, Inc.
The Revitalization for Japan -The Platinum Society-
In the 21st century, we human beings are facing a new paradigm: the earth’s limited resources, the aging of society and the explosion of intelligence.
The Japanese government conditionally confirmed that Japan will submit to 25% GHG reduction by 2020 on 1990 levels under the committee of ministries. The target is achievable. 57% of Japan’s energy consumption occurs in “daily life” activities; i.e. household, commercial and transportation sectors. The remaining 43% of consumption occurs in the manufacturing sectors. GHG reduction in daily life will be possible in Japan still more.
In addition to GHG concerns, we need to address many problems under the paradigm. I proposed a concept of “Platinum Society”. It is a society where environmental problems are solved and elderly persons can live a lively life. Development of “Platinum Society” enhances competitiveness of industries and supports economic growth.
To realize “Platinum society”, we need to launch a new action in community bases. I proposed “Platinum network”, an experimental platform for developing “Platinum society” in collaboration with local municipalities.